The Justin Gaethje next fight news should arrive before the year comes to a close. As his legion of fans waits, we offer up three likely opponent options and review his spectacular revenge win over Dustin Poirier at UFC 291.
Who will Justin Gaethje next fight be against?
By beating Dustin Poirier in the main event of UFC 291 in July, Gaethje solidified his place right near the top of the UFC lightweight rankings. Considering his resume and legacy in the division there are very few options that really make sense for “The Highlight” next. That is why fans should expect his upcoming bout to be against either Islam Makhachev, Charles Oliveira, or Conor McGregor.
- Russian Revenge: If Makhachev can turn away Oliveira in October a matchup with Gaethje is iconic fight sports theater. One of his few losses in the UFC came against the Russian’s best friend and mentor Khabib Nurmagomedov. Taking the championship belt away from his former foe’s bestie is an amazing story.
- Do Bronx: When the Brazilian was champion his second defense was a submission win over Gaethje. After getting revenge against Poirier, what better way to become the undisputed champion than a second slice of vengeance in a win over “Do Bronx?”
- Notorious: Following his victory at UFC 291, McGregor suggested the idea of a fight. While Gaethje seems uninterested, money talks and a career-high payday could persuade him into a megafight.
Justin Gaethje vs. Dustin Poirier II recap
While it did not last as long as their epic first clash from 2018, Gaethje vs. Poirier II was still an entertaining bout that offered up another destructive and definitive finish.
What happened: Over the first five minutes of their bout, the pair of lightweight stars showed respect as they tried to find their range. Both landed several solid shots, but the Louisiana native seemed to get the better of Gaethje and bloodied him late in the round.
However, that changed just a minute into the second frame when the 34-year-old scored on a nasty head kick that flattened Poirier and led to a shocking knockout win.
The fallout: It was a career-defining moment for Gaethje that will go right up there with his dominant win over former champion Tony Ferguson in 2020. The victory stamped his place as one of the greatest lightweights of his generation.
What makes Justin Gaethje so popular?
The Violence King: There truly are very few fighters like Gaethje in UFC history. There have been many tough fighters, or brawlers with heavy hands, but few have been able to defeat elite talent as well. The 33-year-old is a rarity for being a crushing machine with an unbreakable will, but also has the skill and fight IQ to compete with the best lightweights of his era.
- Justin Gaethje Record: 25-4 (20 knockouts, 1 submission)
- Justin Gaethje height: 5-foot-11
- The lightweight division has had some talented knockout artists, but not many have been as efficient as Gaethje in dealing out KOs. In his 25 wins, 80% have come by KO.
- Gaethje has a better knockout rate than heavyweight bombers Derrick Lewis and Francis Ngannou. The two men many believe are the most devastating punchers in MMA history.
- The Arizona native was a sensation from the start of his promotional run in 2017 and has main event UFC cards in seven of his nine fights.
- Gaethje had a good bit of hype entering the promotion after having a memorable run as the World Series of Fighting lightweight champion before they were rebranded as the PFL.
- Gaethje has faced two former UFC and Bellator 155-pound champions during his time in the UFC
- Several of his fights, including against Chandler, Poirier, Eddie Alvarez, and Michael Johnson, either won or were nominated for “Fight of the Year” during the 12-month period when they occurred.
Justin Gaethje’s net worth
Money is often one of the greatest measuring sticks for a fighter’s success. As of 2022, Gaethje’s net worth is estimated to be over $2 million.