The long-awaited Conor McGregor next fight news has arrived, and after years away from the sport, the Irish superstar is expected to step back into the Octagon this year. However, a specific fight date is still unclear.
Who is Conor McGregor next fight against?
After three years away from the sport and months of speculation, McGregor is expected to return to action this year. On New Year’s Eve, he took his social media accounts and claimed he would return to headline a card against Michael Chandler — the man he has been booked to face for the last year — in July and at middleweight.
However, since posting that message a return in the summer has seemed less likely. Now, it is expected to (hopefully) happen in the fall after UFC boss Dana White said he was targeting a fight date later this year.
How to watch McGregor vs Chandler this fall
- McGregor vs Chandler will serve as the main event of a UFC card this fall
- The bout is likely to happen inside either the T-Mobile Arena or the Sphere in Las Vegas
- The fight will air exclusively on ESPN+ pay-per-view for a price of $79.99
Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler preview
Conor McGregor versus Michael Chandler is a bout fight fans around the world had hoped to see for some time. Despite the fight being pushed back for a year as McGregor avoided getting into the USADA testing pool, it is a matchup well worth the wait.
Clash of Styles: Each man has become hugely popular off their fight-finishing abilities. However, both get it done in very different ways. While they are both gifted strikers, McGregor is an elite-level counter-puncher with serious power and strong accuracy. On the other hand, Chandler is explosive and powerful but is also very durable and can take a lot of damage so he can deal out some of his own.
Middleweight?: As of now, the fight is expected to take place at 185 pounds. It’s quite odd that a pair of fighters who have made legendary careers by fighting at lightweight to compete at a weight class 30 pounds above it. However, “Notorious” may be looking to make history by winning inside the Octagon at four different weights.
Nevertheless, for a competitor who has been known for having cardio issues, it could hurt him on fight night to be battling with so much extra muscle on his body.
- McGregor vs Chandler betting odds: McGregor (-120), Chandler (+100)
The bottom line: The matchup is a fight that fans have wanted to see and it would be downright shocking if it did not end with a destructive finish from either man.
When was the last time McGregor fought?
Conor McGregor has been out of action for nearly two and a half years. The last time the former two-division champion competed was in July of 2021 when he suffered a second straight loss to long-time rival Dustin Poirier. In the bout, he suffered fractures to his leg that required surgery soon after the loss.
How many times has McGregor lost?
While McGregor has many victories, he actually has suffered half a dozen defeats during his legendary career. Only five men have been able to beat the Irishman in his 28 fights, and they include former interim champion Poirier (twice), and lightweight great Khabib Nurmagomedov.
What makes Conor McGregor so popular?
A one-of-a-kind talent: McGregor has become an icon of fight sports through his uncanny ability to promote fights and his outstanding skills inside the cage. It has helped him cultivate a massive fanbase that shows up each time he competes. He may not be the best MMA fighter of all time but he is certainly the most famous.
- Conor McGregor record: 22-6 (19 knockouts, 1 submission)
- Conor McGregor age: 33 years old
- Conor McGregor height: 5-foot-8
- Conor McGregor weight: The Irishman has fought at 145, 155, and 170 pounds during his career and next is expected to compete at 185 pounds.
- Does Conor McGregor have a wife?: Dee Devlin has been married to McGregor since 2020 and is the mother of his two children
- How many children does Conor McGregor have?: The UFC star has four children with his long-time partner Dee Devlin.
- Where does McGregor live?: Unsurprisingly the native of Ireland still makes the island his home and he has not moved to the US despite becoming a sports star in the country.
- Over his first seven fights in the Octagon, McGregor was a 145-pound wrecking machine. Scoring knockouts in all but one of his bouts at featherweight.
- Despite his shock submission loss to Nate Diaz in 2016, McGregor hit his MMA zenith a year and a half later when he beat the lightweight champ, Eddie Alvarez, to become the first man to hold UFC titles in two divisions simultaneously.
- McGregor’s combat sport high point came in a boxing loss to Mayweather, Jr. in 2017. In defeat, the Irishman was part of the second most successful pay-per-view in combat sports history.
- After his foray into boxing, McGregor lost three of his next four fights. Including back-to-back against Poirier, and a massive failure to lightweight GOAT Khabib Nurmagomedov in 2018.
- The MMA superstar has also had quite a few low points outside the Octagon. From throwing a dolly at a bus in Barclay’s Center to trying to slap Machine Gun Kelly at the 2021 VMA awards. McGregor can be a public relations nightmare at times.
- “Notorious” will make his film debut in a remake of the Patrick Swayze cult classic “Road House.” This movie will film this year for a 2023 release on Amazon Prime.
- In just a few years, McGregor co-founded the Irish whiskey brand Proper 12 and turned it into one of the most recognized adult beverage brands in the world using his elite skills at self-promotion.
- “Notorious” will soon be getting the Netflix treatment as the streaming giant will release a documentary on his recovery and return from a broken leg in 2023.
How much is Conor McGregor worth?
In being the most famous cage fighter in MMA history, “Notorious” has stacked up a lot of green during his career. However, he has also used his money and notoriety smartly to add to his worth and that showed when he made millions off selling the Irish whiskey brand he co-founded Proper 12.
Heading into 2023, Conor McGregor’s current net worth is estimated to be nearly $200 million.