College Football Standings 2023
Who has the best record in college football?
The Ohio State Buckeyes, Michigan Wolverines, Georgia Bulldogs, Washington Huskies, Florida State Seminoles and James Madison Dukes have undefeated records at 9-0.
How many undefeated teams are left in college football?
There are seven undefeated teams left in college football. Entering Week 10, the Liberty Flames, James Madison Dukes, Ohio State Buckeyes, Michigan Wolverines, Georgia Bulldogs, Washington Huskies and Florida State Seminoles are undefeated in 2023.
What does NCAA stand for?
NCAA stands for the National Collegiate Athletic Association. Based in Indianapolis, the NCAA regulates student athletics for more than 1,000 colleges across the United States and Canada.
The CNAA was founded in 1906 and was originally named the Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States (IAAUS. It changed its name to the NCAA in 1910. Mark Emmert currently serves as NCAA president, but there is an ongoing search for his replacement.
Who won the college football national championship last season?
The Georgia Bulldogs beat the TCU Horned Frogs 65-7 in the 2023 CFP National Championship Game.
How many college football games are there in a season?
College football teams play approximately 11-12 games each season, with the number varying depending on bowl games and conference championship games. The college football season lasts about 13 weeks for the regular season in the FBS. With more than 100 FBS programs, there will be more than 1,000 games played on the 2022 college football schedule.
Our college football standings will be updated following each week of play.
How many college football teams are there?
There are 130 college football teams in the United States that are represented in the FBS division. There are 125 FCS football teams. Here’s a quick breakdown of the number of college football teams in 2022.
- NCAA Division 1 – Football Bowl Subdibision – 130 teams
- NCAA Division 1 – Football Championship Subdivision – 125 teams
- How many Division 2 football teams are there 169 teams
- How many Division 3 football teams are there – 240 teams
How many college football conferences are there?
There are 10 conferences in the college football standings for 2022. However, college football realignment, with the Big 10 absorbing USC and UCLA and the SEC taking on Texas and Oklahoma, means the number of Power 5 conferences could be reduced by 2025. Permanently changing the college football landscape and standings.
What are the Power 5 conferences?
Here are breakdowns of the teams in each Power 5 conference for the 2022 college football season. Note, that this will change in 2023 and 2024.
- Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC)
- Boston College
- Florida State
- Georgia Tech
- Miami (FL)
- North Carolina
- NC State
- Virginia Tech
- Wake Forest
- Big Ten Conference
- Michigan State
- Ohio State
- Penn State
- Big 12 Conference
- Iowa State
- Kansas State
- Oklahoma State
- Texas Tech
- West Virginia
- Pac-12 Conference
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Southeastern Conference (SEC)
- Ole Miss
- Mississippi State
- South Carolina
- Texas A&M
- Notre Dame is not a member of the ACC. However, the Fighting Irish have an agreement to place five ACC schools on their schedule this season.
How does college football overtime work?
If a game is tied after four quarters of play, NCAA rules state that the two teams must play an overtime period until a winner is decided. Here are the latest college football overtime rules.
- The winner of the coin toss determines If they will play offense or defense or which side of the field they will defend. Both teams will receive at least one possession of the football.
- The team that loses the coin toss makes the secondary decision, often which side of the field they will use.
- The team starts with the football at their 25-yard line, unless changed by a penalty, and then as one possession to score.
- After that series, the opposing team possesses the ball and will have the opportunity to either tie the game or win it. If it remains tied after the first overtime, a second OT is played with possession flipping.
- In the second overtime period, teams that score a touchdown must attempt a two-point conversion after scoring a touchdown.
- If the score is tied after double overtime, the game advances to the third overtime with each team attempting two-point attempts until a winner is decided.