A fresh round of Nate Diaz next fight news should arrive later this year, but until then we offer up three opponent options and also take a look back at his unsuccessful debut in the world of professional boxing.
Who will Nate Diaz next fight be against?
While Diaz suffered a frustrating unanimous decision loss to Jake Paul in his August boxing debut, the UFC legend has never been a fighter where losses affect his value at the box office. That is why big fights are still in his future and matchups with the likes of Conor McGregor, and Anderson Silva, or face Paul again in his return to action.
- Irish Trilogy: McGregor has been calling for a trilogy bout in the UFC recently and it is a scrap that fight fans have wanted for years. With both men’s competitive window closing fast, a third fight in their rivalry is as likely to happen as it’s ever been.
- MMA Rematch: Paul has claimed that a rematch in MMA has been offered to Diaz. After being defeated soundly in August, the UFC great’s best route to vengeance would be inside the cage. Making an MMA scrap a likely next fight.
- The Spider: Silva previously fought Nate’s brother Nick inside the Octagon, so there is an interesting storyline to play off of. Furthermore, the bout could happen in MMA or boxing and be an easy sell.
Nate Diaz vs Jake Paul recap
While Nate Diaz put up a gutsy resistance, his vaunted boxing output and chin were just not enough to be serious competition for the fight sports disruptor in their August boxing clash.
What happened: Over 10 rounds the Californian showed his classic durability as he was peppered with shots by the younger, faster, and stronger YouTube star. The low point for Diaz came in the fifth when he was stunned and knocked down by the former Disney Channel actor, en route to a unanimous decision loss.
The fallout: The fight was another wake-up call moment for the few remaining MMA fans who believe their great strikers have a chance against talented boxers who have trained for years. Paul will probably not win a world title in boxing, but he is still a fantastic athlete, driven, and a fast learner. That was more than enough to beat the cage fighting great.
The roadmap: Diaz has a legion of fans and there are still many interesting fights out there to be made. This is far from the last time he will be in action and a return to the UFC for a big-money fight with Conor McGregor isn’t out of the question in the next year. However, don’t be surprised if he takes part in another boxing fight or two before making his Octagon return.
What makes Nate Diaz so popular?
The Stockton Bad Boy: Diaz became a star in MMA by following the path that his talented and popular brother Nick established before him. That of being a trash-talking boxer, with unlimited cardio, and durability few others in a cage fight can match.
- Nate Diaz record: 21-13 MMA (5 knockouts, 12 submissions)
- Nate Diaz age: 38 years old
- Although Diaz is known for his relentless striking style, his bread, and butter have always been his black belt in Gracie jiu-jitsu. His grappling has earned him 11 submission wins, including his legendary rear naked choke victory over McGregor in 2016
- Despite competing in 33 fights and using a high-pressure style that relies heavily on his cement chin, Diaz has only been stopped by strikes twice in his career. And one of those was a 2019 doctor stoppage from a bad cut over his eye
- During his 15-year UFC tenure, the Californian has scored wins over former champions and title contenders like McGregor, Anthony Pettis, Gray Maynard, Donald Cerrone, and Takanori Gomi
The Mumbling Influencer: Diaz ascended to an elite level of popularity when he stunned the world as a short-notice replacement and handed Octagon superstar Conor McGregor his first UFC loss in 2016. Since then, he has become one of the biggest names in the industry.
- Diaz’s request to make his UFC 263 bout against Edwards a five-round fight was the first time the promotion ever did such a thing outside of the main event matchup
- His 2019 clash with fellow fan-favorite Jorge Masvidal was for the fictional “baddest mother f*cker” title and he even roped in Hollywood megastar Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson to present the belt inside Madison Square Garden
- The Stockton bad boy is in the early stages of starting his own MMA promotion, dubbed Real Fight Inc.
- Diaz is in rarefied air compared to other MMA fighters by having close to 10 million followers across his social media accounts
Nate Diaz’s net worth
The measure of a fighter’s success is the dollars and cents they stack up from a career of professional fisticuffs. Nate Diaz’s net worth is estimated to be around $8 million.