A fresh round of Khamzat Chimaev next fight news should arrive soon, but while his legion of fans waits, we look at three likely opponent options and recap his landmark victory over Kamaru Usman at UFC 294.
Who will Khamzat Chimaev next fight be against?
After 13 months away from the sport, Chimaev finally returned to action in October 22023. He scored the most notable win of his career and set himself up for more big fights at middleweight in 2024. That is why matchups with former titlist Israel Adesanya, Jared Cannonier, or submission ace Paul Craig
- Izzy: Adesanya claimed he would take a long layoff following his shocking loss to Sean Strickland. However, there have been rumblings a money fight at UFC 300 against “Borz” could be in the works, and that is one high-profile bout that might bring him back sooner.
- The Gorilla: Cannonier is one of the few top 10 fighters that doesn’t have their first bout in 2024 set. The former title challenger is an elite-level gatekeeper and if Chimaev could defeat him a title fight next is very possible.
- Russian Sniper: If the promotion wants “Borz” to work his way up slowly at middleweight, a clash with Russian fighter Nassourdine Imavov would make a lot of sense. Imavov recently was victorious in a main event opportunity and his stock is on the rise. The bout would be a fitting clash of rising stars to move deeper into the title contention conversation later this year.
Khamzat Chimaev vs Kamaru Usman recap
While it did not come easy, Khamzat Chimaev took on the difficult challenge of a short-notice matchup with future Hall-of-Famer Kamaru Usman at UFC 294 and was able to notch the biggest winning of his young career.
What happened: Chimaev used his patented wrestling to score big takedowns in every single round against the “Nigerian Nightmare.” His best frame was in the first when he threatened several submissions from his foe’s back. However, he met major resistance in the second and third rounds but was able to do what was necessary to eke out a hard-fought majority decision win.
The fallout: While some in the industry felt Usman did enough to win the bout, Chimaev was still impressive at times in grounding one of the best grapplers in the company over the last decade. It was another big win for the young star who risked far more with a short-notice loss to the former welterweight champion.
The road map: With “Borz” dealing with more recent health issues, his return to the Octagon is unclear. It likely cost him a major fight at UFC 300 and could mean we may not see him again until late this summer or in the fall.
Why is Khamzat Chimaev so famous?
The Chechen Crusher: Over his short career inside the MMA world leader, Khamzat Chimaev has become one of the most popular stars in the industry and a legitimate needle mover. And he has done that by being an unstoppable force that has met little resistance from some high-level competition inside the Octagon.
- Khamzat Chimaev record: 13-0 (6 knockouts, 5 submissions)
- How tall is Khamzat Chimaev UFC?: 6-foot-2
- Khamzat Chimaev last fight: Majority decision win vs. Kamaru Usman
- Before he reached the Octagon, Chimaev won his first six bouts. All but two went into the second round, and in that rare instance against Mzwandile Hlongwa, he only needed over a minute to lock in a fight-ending choke.
- “Borz” became a favorite of his new boss by being down for a fight any time and anywhere. His first four matchups in the Octagon were split between the welterweight and middleweight divisions. And his first two fights in the promotion also took place just 10 days apart.
The Russian McGregor: Trash talk and callouts on social media is the name of the game in the UFC today. And despite English not being his first language, Chimaev has become quite adept at using his Twitter fingers.
- The native Russia, by way of Sweden, has become an avid user of his Twitter account, using it to challenge many of the top fighters in the UFC welterweight division — including Leon Edwards, Gilbert Burns, and Colby Covington.
- During a 2021 rampage of tweets, Chimaev drew attention by seeking out MMA fights with retired UFC legends Brock Lesnar and Georges St-Pierre, and a wrestling match with former two-division champion Daniel Cormier. Only Cormier answered, and the former Olympian found the challenge quite entertaining.
- Chimaev has also made headlines in training videos. Dominating world-class talents like Bellator welterweight champion Yaroslav Amosov and UFC veteran Darren Till.
Does Khamzat Chimaev have a wife?
The UFC star does not talk much about his personal life, however, there have been reports that he was married in May of 2022. Furthermore, following his win over Kamaru Usman he revealed that he now has an infant child that has become one of his new motivations in life.
Khamzat Chimaev’s net worth
The measure of a fighter’s success is the dollars and cents they stack up from a career of professional fisticuffs. It is still early days for Chimaev, but his net worth is estimated to be $1 million.
What language does Khamzat speak?
Khamzat Chimaev is a man of many talents and that includes speaking multiple languages. He learned Russian and Chechen while growing up in the Republic of Chechnya. He eventually moved to Sweden and there he learned both Swedish and English.