Some Charles Oliveira next fight news should arrive soon, but until then we look at three likely opponents for the former lightweight champion after an injury cost him a coveted title fight rematch at UFC 294.
Who will Charles Oliveira next fight be against?
Despite missing out on a major opportunity in October. “Do Bronx” remains one of the elite lightweight fighters in the world and should still be in the thick of the 155-pound title picture once he is ready to return. That is why matchups with the winner of the Islam Makhachev vs. Alexander Volkanovski fight, or Justin Gaethje seem likely next.
- Russian rematch: A rematch with Makhachev is the fight that the Brazilian wanted and fought hard to get. It is very possible that if the Russian is victorious at UFC 294 rebooking this fight is what happens next.
- The Great: Volkanovski came very close to beating the current champion when they fought earlier this year. A matchup between the Aussie and Oliveira would be a fantastic clash and would excite many fight fans.
- The highlight: Oliveira already has a win over Gaethje, however, after having to pull out of his bout in Abu Dhabi he may need to again prove he deserves the opportunity, and a matchup with the American in a title eliminator scrap next makes a lot of sense.
Is Charles Oliveira out of UFC 294?
Just a couple of weeks before he was set to make his return to the fabled Octagon, reports came out that Charles Oliveira had been removed from his matchup at UFC 294 against Islam Makhachev. That news was eventually confirmed by UFC President Dana White, and the company’s top executive announced that featherweight champion Alexander Volkanovski would be replacing him at the event.
Why is Charles Oliveira not fighting?
When confirming that “do Bronx” would not be available to compete at the company’s October pay-per-view event, White also revealed the cause for his removal from the card. Unfortunately, Oliveira suffered a very bad cut during sparring as he prepared for the bout, and the wound is so severe it will not have enough time to properly heal before the event.
What makes Charles Oliveira so popular?
Charles Oliveria’s UFC journey has not been a meteoric rise to the top from day one like middleweight great Israel Adesanya. The Brazilian at one point went from a top prospect to a gatekeeper. He was a lightweight who underperformed, tried and failed at featherweight, then returned as a new man at 155 pounds and became a dominant force. Oliveira’s story is one of reinvention and perseverance from specialist to well-rounded superstar.
- Charles Oliveira Record: 34-9 (9 knockouts, 21 submissions)
- Charles Oliveria last fight: Second-round submission loss to Islam Makhachev
- Charles Oliveira height: 5-foot-10
- “Do Bronx” has the record for most UFC submissions wins at 16
- His UFC record is 21-9-1
- Oliveira has wins over elite Octagon stars like Dustin Poirier, Gaethje, Michael Chandler, Tony Ferguson, Jim Miller, Donald Cerrone, Clay Guida, and Beneil Dariush
- Oliveira was stripped of his lightweight title in May 2022 after missing weight before his second title defense at UFC 274
- Oliveira is one victory away from tying former champion Ferguson for the longest win streak in UFC lightweight history (12)
Charles Oliveira’s net worth
Money is often the greatest determiner of success in the fight game. After 14 years in the MMA, Charles Oliveira’s net worth is reported as $2.5 million.