Following his latest exhibition bout that ended with a wild melee in the ring, we take a look at possible options for Floyd Mayweather’s next fight in his strange exhibition tour.
Who will Floyd Mayweather’s next fight be against
With his dance card open, there are an endless amount of options for Mayweather’s return to action. If he is looking to upgrade his competition for his next scrap, some likely opponent options would include Manny Pacquiao, Oscar De La Hoya, and KSI.
- Pac-Man: Mayweather and Pacquiao had the most successful fight in boxing history. While they won’t be able to recreate that at their ages, an exhibition rematch would still draw a huge amount of attention for both legends.
- Golden Boy: De La Hoya was one of the few fighters that came close to actually beating Mayweather at his peak. With “The Golden Boy” nearly making a return a couple of years ago, an exhibition rematch wouldn’t be impossible later this year.
- The YouTuber: KSI has transitioned from popular YouTuber to celebrity boxer. If “Money” wants an easy fight with a higher profile, Logan Paul’s pal would make a lot of sense.
Floyd Mayweather vs John Gotti III recap
Floyd Mayweather’s exhibition tour took a wild turn in June when his bout with a deceased mobster’s grandson ended with a crazy brawl between the two combatant’s camps.
What happened: Over the first five rounds, Mayweather dominated and trash-talked Jon Gotti III at every turn. Obviously, the MMA veteran got frustrated and it led to some serious difficulty in managing the two personalities for referee Kenny Bayless. Eventually, he called an end to the action in the sixth and all hell broke loose.
The fallout: After the fight was called, Gotti III saw red and tried to attack his foe. That led to both camps flooding the ring and a melee breaking out that needed security officials to eventually break up. It was a weird end to a strange time in the legend’s career.
The roadmap: This ugly moment is unlikely to change anything for the boxing great and he will surely return to action for an easy night at some point later this year.
What makes Floyd Mayweather so popular?
There is no doubt Floyd Mayweather is one of the greatest boxers to ever compete in the sport. Yet what makes him a one-of-a-kind was that his mix of skill and brash bravado was able to transcend the industry. He is the type of talent that combat sports fans have long been willing to pay big money to see him win, or hopefully lose.
The greatest villain in combat sports: Although Mayweather was a hero to some, relishing his role as a villain to all was what truly made him a box office megastar. And his ability to back up all his talk only heightened his appeal.
- Mayweather racked up a 50-0 record and titles in multiple divisions during his run in the sport. Loudly trash-talking his way through wins over legends like Oscar De La Hoya, Pacquiao, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, and Miguel Cotto.
- In June 2022, Mayweather, Jr. was placed along with the immortals of the sport when he was inducted into the International Boxing Hall-of-Fame.
- Floyd Mayweather record: 50-0 (27 knockouts)
- Mayweather also has wins over several MMA and kickboxing veterans, including former UFC two-division champion Conor McGregor.
The bad side of the legacy: Mayweather has also spent a good bit of time in courtrooms during his life.
- The Michigan native also has an ugly history with domestic violence allegations and a conviction. As well as pleading guilty to two different battery charges in 2002 and 2011.
- Floyd Mayweather age: 46 years old
Floyd Mayweather’s net worth
Money is often one of the greatest measuring sticks for a fighter’s success. As of 2022, Floyd Mayweather’s net worth is reported at $450 million. However, the boxing star claims it is closer to $1.2 billion.