Ray Rice is still pushing hard for a return to the NFL after being banished following the release last year of the video showing him viciously abuse his then-fiance.
Speaking on the Dan Patrick Show Thursday, Rice made it clear he’s not going to stop trying to make it back into the league.
“I do want to play football again and I’m not ready to give up,” Rice said (h/t Pro Football Talk).
Once considered to be one of the league’s biggest stars at the running back position, Rice can’t get his foot in the door these days with an NFL franchise.
Unfortunately, his actions against the woman who is now his wife, Janay Palmer, came at the worst time of his career. He had struggled to produce for the Baltimore Ravens in 2013, averaging just 3.1 yards per carry as he dealt with a lingering hip injury.
All the same, Rice did think he’d have gotten an invitation to training camp this past summer.
“I thought early in the year,” he said. “I would have loved to be in a training camp, learn an offense and things like that.”
At this stage of things, however, it’s likely that Rice’s career is officially over in the NFL. If he was going to get another shot to play, then it would have already happened this year. There have been plenty of opportunities for teams to bring him aboard as the league has experienced a tremendous rash of injuries to running backs in 2015.
That won’t stop Rice from continuing to train and keep himself ready to play, though. If a team does come calling, he’s going to be ready.