fbpx

Who will the Washington Wizards draft in 2019?

Bob Donnan-USA TODAY Sports

Wizards fans everywhere were disappointed to see their team land the No. 9 overall pick in the 2019 NBA Draft. They had a 3.8% chance of landing this pick. The Wizards had a 96.2% chance of landing a pick higher than ninth overall. They had a higher chance at landing Zion Williamson than landing this pick.

The big picture: While there is much disappointment to go around, there are many great players to consider at this pick. Here, we look at the three most likely.

Deā€™Andre Hunter: Hunter is a 21-year-old 6-foot-7 guard out of the University of Virginia. He has the build and talent to become one of the top players in the NBA. If developed correctly, Hunter could be the answer to many of the Wizards woes.

  • Impressive stats: Hunter averaged 15.2 points and 5.1 rebounds per game last season at UVA. He also shot 44% from three.
  • NCAA Champion: Hunter played a key role in leading Virginia to becoming national champions. In the Championship game, Hunter scored 27 points.
  • Multifaceted: Hunter has been praised for exceptional ability to play at both ends of the floor.  
  • Steal: Hunter is projected to go before the Wizards are on the clock. However, it is possible for the Wizards to finally receive some luck and have Hunter fall to their laps.

Cam Reddish: Reddish is a 19-year-old, 6-foot-8 forward out of Duke University. Reddish came into Duke being the No. 2-ranked recruit in the country. However, Reddish was largely overshadowed by his teammates at Duke, RJ Barrett and Zion Williamson. Injuries and uncertainty about his passion for the game lowered his draft stock.R

  • Stats: Last season at Duke he averaged 13.5 points and 1.6 steals per game.
  • Mediocre Shooting: Reddish shot 36% from the field and 33% from three last season.
  • High Ceiling: He was a projected top 5 pick at the start of the season. If Reddish can get his shooting percentages up and show that he still has passion for the game, he has the talent and potential to be a star in the league.

Bol Bol: Bol Bol is a 19-year-old, 7-foot-2 center out of the University of Oregon. Bol, the son of former NBA star Manute Bol, is a type of player that the Association has never seen before. Bol is a giant who has the ability to stretch the floor by knocking down threes.

  • Stats: In the nine games he played last season for Oregon, he averaged 21 points, 9.6 rebounds, and 2.7 blocks per game.
  • Impressive Shot: He made 2.8 three pointers a game while shooting 52% from three.
  • Injury Concerns: Bol missed most of last season with a foot injury that required surgery.
  • Unique Player: Injuries are a concern and have lowered Bol’s draft stock. However, drafting Bol would allow him to develop under former All-Star Dwight Howard. Bol’s unique style of play could easily make him the new face of the franchise if drafted by Washington.