New York Giants cornerback DeAndre Baker faces four charges of armed robbery and four charges of aggravated assault stemming from an incident in May. Now comes some potential good news for the second-year former first-round pick from Georgia.
DeAndre Baker and Quinton Dunbar accused of armed robbery
Back in May, shocking news broke when Baker and Seattle Seahawks defensive back Quinton Dunbar were accused of armed robbery during a cookout in Florida.
The 22-year-old Baker is facing four charges of armed robbery and four charges of aggravated assault. After turning himself in to be arrested, he was released on bond at $200,000 ($25,000 on each count).
Baker has since pleaded not guilty to all eight counts. His lawyer also said recently that the cornerback was actually playing “Madden” at the time of the alleged robbery and could not have committed the crimes.
Two witnesses say DeAndre Baker never pulled a gun
TMZ Sports reported Tuesday that two witnesses have come forward who say they were at the cookout. They also say they never saw Baker pull a gun or take anything from anyone at the party.
“DeAndre Baker was near me, and he never pulled out and/or pointed a firearm at the party,” one witness said, per TMZ Sports, citing signed affidavits.
The two witnesses also said Baker didn’t “take anything from anyone at the party,” to their knowledge.
Baker’s lawyer, Bradford Cohen, responded to these statements:
“In speaking to the witnesses, and reviewing the evidence we gathered, my opinion was not changed that he is innocent of the allegations against him,” Cohen told TMZ.
What’s next for DeAndre Baker and the Giants?
The Giants have asked Baker to stay away from team meetings during this time to focus on his legal issues. If he’s cleared of any wrongdoing, that will change in a hurry.
Selected 30th overall during the 2019 NFL Draft, Baker had a rock-solid rookie campaign last year. He put up great stats for a first-year player, tallying 61 tackles and eight passes defensed.