Reggie Wayne is ready to strap on his helmet, lace up his cleats and gear up for NFL football in 2015.
He’s just not sure which team he’s playing for yet.
According to ESPN’s Mike Wells, the veteran receiver says teams have been calling for his services:
Reggie Wayne said teams have been calling and he plans to play this season
— Mike Wells (@MikeWellsNFL) July 17, 2015
Recovering from a triceps injury and a knee scope, Wayne is now healthy and eager to get back into the swing of things. He had previously told Mike Chappell back in April that he wanted to play this season “if the situation is right.”
For his career, Wayne has put up numbers that could arguably warrant consideration for the Hall of Fame, thanks in part to Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck. He has tallied 1,070 catches for 14,345 yards and 82 touchdowns.
At the age of 36, and with 14 seasons under his belt, Wayne would likely be a complementary player for whichever team does end up signing him. His best days are clearly behind him and there’s no doubt he’s lost a step or two since joining the league as a rookie back in 2001.
However, Wayne’s experience and skill would still be a tremendous value to a team that is lacking in leadership at the receiver position. In the film room his presence would be invaluable, and he can certainly still produce at a high level.
One team that comes to mind, and one that would certainly be attractive to the veteran, is the Seattle Seahawks. Russell Wilson has been making do with a receiving corps that lacks leadership since the departure of Golden Tate.
No doubt Wayne will soon find work, provided he is healthy.
Photo Credit: USA Today Sports