The extended holdout is over. Joey Bosa and the San Diego Chargers have agreed to a contract. The team released a statement announcing a deal had been reached. The NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport announced the terms.
The #Chargers and Joey Bosa reached a 4-year, $25.8M contract, source said. He gets a $17M signing bonus. It's all fully guaranteed.
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) August 29, 2016
This goes to show how fast things change in the negotiating world. Less than a week before signing him, the Chargers released a statement that didn’t indicate much hope. Not long before that, Bosa was said to be angry about “irreparable damage” that the negotiations had caused.
Obviously, money talks.
The next question is simple. After missing nearly all of camp and the preseason, when will Bosa be on the field? As part of the team’s statement, general manager Tom Telesco indicated that the Chargers want Bosa on the field ASAP.
“We look forward to having Joey join us and getting him prepared as quickly as possible for the 2016 season.”
Bosa was the third overall selection in April’s NFL Draft. The Chargers have one more preseason game on September 1 at home against the San Francisco 49ers. On September 11, San Diego opens its regular season on the road against the Kansas City Chiefs.