fbpx
Skip to main content

CF Montreal sack reserve team coach Sandro Grande

Aug 6, 2022; Austin, Texas, USA;  General view of official MLS balls on the pitch before the game as the Austin FC host the San Jose Earthquakes at Q2 Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports
Credit: Scott Wachter-USA TODAY Sports

CF Montreal terminated its relationship with reserve team coach Sandro Grande on Tuesday following revelations of controversial political comments he made 10 years ago.

On election night in 2012, Grande made comments appearing to support an assassination attempt against former Quebec premier Pauline Marois.

“We recognize that the hiring of Sandro Grande was a mistake, and we regret any repercussions that may have been caused by this decision,” said Gabriel Gervais, president and CEO of CF Montreal. “We would like to extend our sincerest apologies to anyone who was hurt or shocked. Clearly, we have demonstrated a lack of sensibility and have grossly underestimated what he said and what he did several years ago.”

Grande, 45, was sacked one day after the team announced he was joining the staff. Patrick Viollat will take over as head coach of the reserve squad.

Grande, who has previously claimed that his social media account was hacked, commented after a fatal shooting during a speech given by Marois in Montreal. One person was killed and another injured.

“The only mistake the shooter made last night was to miss his target!!! Marois!!!” Grande allegedly wrote. “Next time my guy! I hope!”

Grande issued an apology when CF Montreal announced his hiring.

“I made some serious mistakes several years ago and I offer my sincere apologies to those whom my past comments have offended in any way,” he said in a statement. “I have learned a lot from them, and I know that I am joining an organization where the values of inclusion and diversity are fundamental. I think it is important to use our personal experiences to continually improve and correct our past mistakes.”

–Field Level Media