Earlier in the week some pretty major news broke in the Reuben Foster domestic violence case. The alleged victim in the case, his ex-girlfriend, released a statement through her lawyer indicating that she lied to authorities and that the injuries sustained stemmed from a fight with another woman.
“(Foster) did not strike her, injure her or threaten her.” The lawyer, Stephanie Rickard, said in the statement. “She was extremely upset and told him if he broke up with her she would ‘trash his career.'”
Despite this, prosecutors for the Santa Clara Count District Attorney’s office have decided to go forward with the charges.
“They will continue with the case, the charges in which include an allegation that Foster inflicted great bodily injury — Ennis suffered a ruptured eardrum — forcefully attempted to prevent a victim from reporting a crime and was in possession of an assault weapon,” The Sacramento Bee reported Friday.
As is usually the case in these situations, attempting to get a guilty verdict is going to be extremely hard. That’s only magnified by the fact that the alleged victim, Elissa Ennis, has a video to prove her claims that Foster did not injure her. Said video is in possession of the DA’s office.
For their part, the 49ers have said they’re going to wait for the legal process to play out before drawing an ultimate conclusion. Foster, a first-round pick in last year’s draft, will remain away from the team until said legal process plays out.