The World Boxing Council (WBC) on Tuesday ordered heavyweight champion Tyson Fury to defend his title against Dillian Whyte, a fellow Briton who has been waiting for his shot at the title.
Whyte has held an interim heavyweight title since March, giving him the mandatory position to challenge for Fury’s belt.
“The WBC hereby orders the start of the free negotiations period pursuant to the WBC Rules & Regulations for the mandatory bout between WBC World Heavyweight Champion Tyson Fury and Mandatory Challenger and WBC Interim World Champion Dillian Whyte,” the WBC said in a statement on Twitter.
Fury has never fought Whyte, but told iFL TV last month that he’d take the fight once it was mandated and “butcher him, no problem.”
Fury (31-0-1, 22 knockouts) most recently defeated American Deontay Wilder in a trilogy match in October.
Whyte is 28-2 as a boxer (19 knockouts) following stints in mixed martial arts and kickboxing.
–Field Level Media