Jacksonville Jaguars cornerback Jalen Ramsey will likely be traded here in the next 48 hours.
The Pro Bowler demanded to be dealt earlier in the week after getting into it with head coach Doug Marrone during Sunday’s loss to the Houston Texans.
Basically every team around the NFL has called Jacksonville up about the two-time Pro Bowler. It’s a clear indication that the team’s asking price of two first-round picks has not acted as a deterrent.
Bottom line: While there is a ton of interest in Ramsey’s services, only a handful of teams make sense. Two first-round picks is a high bounty to pay. The market should be limited to potential serious playoff and Super Bowl contenders. Here’s a look at four teams who make the most sense.
New England Patriots: Already dominating its opponents, adding Ramsey would pretty much lock down a repeat for the NFL’s greatest dynasty.
- It’s not hyperbole to indicate that the Patriots adding Ramsey to the mix would end any other teams’ aspirations of unseating them as Super Bowl champions.
- New England has yielded a total of three points in two games. That’s an average of 1.5 points per game. Just ridiculous stuff.
- Adding Ramsey to the mix with Stephon Gilmore and Jonathan Jones would create an elite pass defense.
Green Bay Packers: Already vastly improved on defense, the Packers would dominate on that side of the ball if they added Ramsey.
- The acquisitions pass rushers Za’Darius Smith and Preston Smith has turned this defense into an elite force.
- Green Bay heads into Week 3 ranked No. 2 overall in scoring defense and yielding a 58.3 opposing passer rating.
- Some might think that’s good enough. It might just be. However, adding Ramsey to the mix with Jaire Alexander and Kevin King would make this team an instant Super Bowl favorite.
- In lieu of offering up two first-round picks, the Packers could entice Jacksonville with cornerback Josh Jackson, a first-round pick and change.
Cleveland Browns: Why the heck not? General manager John Dorsey has already pulled off a few blockbuster trades. Ramsey would help this team take the next step.
- Greedy Williams has been one of the best cornerbacks in the game through two weeks. That’s not a surprise given how experts viewed him heading into the 2019 NFL Draft.
- Even then, the Browns could use a true shutdown cornerback opposite the youngster.
- Adding Ramsey to the mix could potentially lead to the Browns moving either Williams or Denzel Ward to the slot. It would create the best cornerback trio in the NFL.
San Francisco 49ers: Already boasting a top-10 defense and one of the best pass-rush groups in the NFL, adding Ramsey would change the entire dynamic in San Francisco.
- Ahkello Witherspoon is yielding a sub 15.0 passer rating when targeted this season. Richard Sherman appears to have returned to elite-level form after a questionable first season in San Francisco.
- This might lead to some suggesting that the 49ers don’t need another cornerback. After all, they are yielding a 69.7 quarterback rating.
- That assumption is hilariously false. If San Francisco were to add Ramsey to the mix, it would immediately become one of the favorites in the NFC.
- It’s not hyperbole. Boasting three Pro Bowl-level pass rushers and two Pro Bowl-level linebackers, Ramsey would make the 49ers a truly elite force on defense. General manager John Lynch and Co. shouldn’t think twice about this.