fbpx

Report: Raiders could still cut Michael Crabtree, Marshawn Lynch

Jesse Reed
Michael Crabtree
Nov 8, 2015; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Oakland Raiders wide receiver Michael Crabtree (15) reacts after scoring on a thirty-eight yard touchdown pass against Pittsburgh Steelers during the fourth quarter at Heinz Field. The Steelers won 38-35. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Despite what the Oakland Raiders have said publicly about veterans Michael Crabtree and Marshawn Lynch, a report emerged Thursday that indicates both players could still be cut heading into 2018.

According to Michael Gehlken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal, the Raiders have “contingency plans” at both running back and receiver if Lynch and Crabtree aren’t on the roster next season.

“This year, Crabtree is due a $7 million salary with up to $1.05 million in potential bonuses. Lynch is scheduled to earn a $4 million salary with up to $4 million in various bonuses. The Raiders are uncomfortable with those figures, sources said Thursday. The two situations privately are considered very much in flux and could result in both, either or neither player being with the club in 2018.”

It’s been previously reported that the Raiders would be moving on from Crabtree, who had a sub-par 2017 season, catching 58 passes for 618 yards and eight touchdowns. We’ve also heard that Lynch is “intrigued” about playing for Jon Gruden, but there’s been no clear indication about his intent for the 2018 season, one way or another.

Obviously, Oakland has some big issues that need to be fixed defensively. The Raiders aren’t in the best shape cap wise compared to other teams that could be very active in free agency. So, clearing cap space is of utmost importance.

Gehlken reports that the agent who represents both Lynch and Crabtree will be meeting with Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie at the combine this week. It will be interesting to see where those talks lead, and whether his two clients are with Oakland in 2018.