Odell Beckham Jr. Sends Message that Doubling Him Won’t Work

By Rachel Wold

After having an absolutely amazing rookie season, New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. knows he is going to draw more coverage this upcoming season.

Not one bit worried about opposing defenses limiting his productivity, OBJ issued this statement:

“I definitely expect to receive a lot more attention,” Beckham said Wednesday, via NJ.com’s Jordan Raanan. “But it’s just not going to work.”

Beckham had already been receiving double coverage towards the end of last season—a situation that caused offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo to move him around in different formations. This resulted in Giants scoring an average of 29.2 points per game over the course of the team’s final six outings. It’s not a coincidence that the rookie scored nine touchdowns during that span.

We can see where Beckham’s confidence is stemming from. Opposing defenses are going to have their hands full attempting to stop Beckham while dealing with the return of Victor Cruz from injury. Some receivers just can’t be stopped no matter the coverage you throw their way.

Beckham also explained that it might not be the best decision to double him, especially with what the Giants have opposite him at receiver:

“You know you have Vic and Reuben, it’s going to be hard to double or have a safety over the top with the stuff that we have going on,” Beckham said. “I don’t think it’s going to be beneficial for them.”

After putting up a total of 1,305 yards last year, the sky is the limit for one of the most naturally gifted wide receivers of his generation. It’s now going to be up to opposing defenses to stop him.

Photo: USA Today Sports