After ending his retirement from boxing in 2021, fight fans are wondering when Mike Tyson’s next fight could happen. While it is hard to predict when the 55-year-old will next step into the ring, we offer up three likely opponents for the man known as “Iron Mike.”
Related: UFC tonight – Fight card, betting odds, and watch times for the UFC’s next event
Who will Mike Tyson fight next?
Following his exhibition return against Roy Jones Jr. in November 2020, Tyson’s next opponent is still up for debate. When evaluating the best options for Tyson’s next post-retirement throwdown Jake Paul, Evander Holyfield, or Tyson Fury.
- The YouTuber: Tyson was asked about a possible clash with Jake Paul in 2022, and didn’t seem opposed to the idea. While there is a notable size difference, there is also a huge age and speed gap that could even the odds for Paul. Without a doubt, it would be one of the biggest fights that could happen this year without actual division relevancy.
- Real Deal: Holyfield has victories in the pair’s two fights, but due to the ugly history between the two there will always be an interest in a third fight. Even with both in their 50s.
- Gypsy King: Fury has suggested his next fight could be his last. But he would open to fun fights like a clash with UFC heavyweight king Ngannou. Nothing would be more fun than Fury facing the legendary Tyson in an exhibition clash of generations.
Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones, Jr. recap
A heavily promoted bout from Triller Fight Club between two aging fighters didn’t seem like a worthwhile idea following its 2020 announcement. Yet, the battle of boxing greats was a massive success for the promotion and fight fans everywhere.
It’s a retirement community: As the fight neared and the training montages drew excitement, interest quickly built. To the surprise of many, the bout delivered an inspired and entertaining effort from the two former champions.
- Tyson and Jones, Jr. put on a competitive fight for eight rounds. Without an official result, guest judges Chad Dawson, Christy Martin, and Vinny Pazienza scored the fight 76–76, 79–73 (Tyson), and 76–80 (Jones) for a draw.
- With a PPV cost of $49.99, the fight generated 1.6 million buys and is in the top 10 all-time buys for a combat sports event.
- Since the bout, Tyson and Triller boss Ryan Kavanaugh has verbally sparred about his future with the promotion. Those issues were taken to a courtroom in June, making Tyson’s fight future unclear at the moment.
What makes Mike Tyson so popular?
Mike Tyson became an international star and an American sports icon by being the youngest heavyweight champion in boxing history, winning his first 37 fights.
- Mike Tyson Record: 50-6 (44 knockouts)
Let the bad times roll: It wasn’t all good times with Tyson.
- Tyson was convicted of rape in 1992 and served jail time.
- Finally, the moment that signaled the end of Tyson’s reign at the top, biting Holyfield’s ear in their 1997 rematch.
- Mike Tyson plane video became a popular search in 2022 after the Brooklyn native attacked a heckling fan on a JetBlue flight to Florida.
The Hangover: After retiring, Tyson has made significant changes.
- He engages in in-depth interviews, documentaries, podcasts, cartoons, and serves as an ambassador for combat sports.
- He revealed his personal struggles, including years of substance abuse, which influenced some of his behavior.
Mike Tyson net worth
Money is often one of the greatest measuring sticks for a fighter’s success. As of 2021, Tyson’s net worth is estimated to be between $3 and $10 million.