NBA rumors were hot and heavy as it relates to the Houston Rockets with James Harden on the trade market earlier this season. With Houston in the midst of a solid stretch that has seen it win six of seven, rumors regarding a sell off ahead of the March NBA trade deadline have died down.
It was previously noted that new Rockets general manager Rafael Stone could look to trade veterans such as P.J. Tucker, Eric Gordon and the recently-acquired Victor Oladipo. With about seven weeks to go before the deadline, we’re now starting to hear more on this front.
Houston Rockets could trade Victor Oladipo
“The Houston Rockets could potentially move Oladipo again, as well as forward P.J. Tucker, who also is on an expiring contract,” ESPN’s Tim Bontemps reported.
An impending free agent, the 28-year-old Oladipo has played well in Houston since being acquired in the James Harden blockbuster. The former All-Star is averaging 20.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 5.1 assists on 40% shooting from the field.
Any Oladipo trade would likely have to net Houston at least one first-round pick and a young player. That might be hard given that he could very well be a rental for a contending team.
However, there’s some solid fits here.
NBA rumors: Who might be interested in a Victor Oladipo trade?
- The Los Angeles Clippers seem to be a natural fit. However, they don’t have a first-round pick until 2027 after trades for Paul George and Marcus Morris. Los Angeles also lacks young talent to entice Houston.
- We also wouldn’t be surprised if the Philadelphia 76ers showed interest in Oladipo. They were in on Harden, but were not willing to include star rookie Tyrese Maxey. A deal for Oladipo wouldn’t have to include him. Instead, someone like Shake Milton and a future first-round pick could work.
- Despite their status as the defending champs, the Los Angeles Lakers are said to be looking for more star talent. While they can’t give up a first-round pick until 2026, young guard Talen Horton-Tucker could be of interest to Houston. From there, it remains to be seen how the salaries would work to make a trade possible.
- Surprise playoff contenders without Klay Thompson in the mix this season, the Golden State Warriors could also make sense. They’ve been linked to a Lonzo Ball trade and are reportedly willing to move off Kelly Oubre. A deal including Oubre and a 2023 first-round pick could make sense.
- The one team linked to Oladipo over the past several months is the Miami Heat. Now mired in a major slump, it’s possible that Pat Riley pulls off a blockbuster. Oladipo would love to play in South Beach, meaning this wouldn’t necessarily be a rental. Moving Duncan Robinson as well as salary fillers such as Kelly Olynyk and the injured Meyers Leonard could make this work.
Click below for more NBA rumors.