Marginally involved in the first week of training camp, quarterback Deshaun Watson didn’t participate in practice with the Houston Texans on Tuesday.
Head coach David Culley said there is nothing new to report with the disgruntled quarterback, who isn’t injured but has seen his participation limited while the franchise sorts out his request to be traded.
“We’re day to day with it,” Culley said Tuesday. “The only thing that’s changed about it is we make decisions every day based on what’s best for our team and I’m going to leave it at that.”
Watson has largely participated if and when he has chosen to do so, but Culley said his approach has been “professional.”
On the first day of camp, Watson wore a non-contact jersey, was the final quarterback through in most passing and position-specific work and stood as a stationary scout team safety for much of the workout.
Since then, he’s toggled up or down his involvement but mostly served as a sounding board for quarterback Tyrod Taylor, the 31-year-old journeyman expected to start while the Texans seek a trade bounty — reportedly some combination of five high draft picks and starter-ready players — to move Watson.
Watson, who turns 26 next month, reported to training camp on time to avoid $50,000 daily fines. Watson is facing 22 civil lawsuits alleging sexual assault and/or sexual misconduct, a Houston Police Department active investigation of 10 complaints and a parallel NFL personal conduct investigation.
Watson signed a four-year, $156 million contract extension last year but frustration from a losing 2020 season, the trade of wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins and not being involved in discussions surrounding the team’s decisions on a new head coach reportedly sparked Watson’s request.
–Field Level Media