The San Francisco 49ers were outclassed at home by Joe Burrow and the Cincinnati Bengals Sunday afternoon, losing their third consecutive game by the score of 31-17.
San Francisco’s previously stout defense allowed Burrow to complete 28-of-32 passes for 283 yards with three touchdowns and zero interceptions. All said, Cincinnati put up 400 total yards of offense and 29 first downs.
Following the game, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan was asked how Sunday’s loss would impact their plans ahead of Tuesday’s NFL trade deadline. His response was rather interesting.
“No, none of this changes anything with the trade deadline,” Shanahan told reporters. “How we played today or how we played these last three weeks. … I do believe we have the answers in our building. I believe we have good players. I believe we have good coaches. It’s up to me to get them to do better.”
San Francisco started out the season sizzling hot, winning five consecutive games. However, the team has struggled big time since its blowout win over the Dallas Cowboys back in Week 5. That includes losses to the Cleveland Browns, Minnesota Vikings and aformentioned Bengals.
It’s not a coincidence that second-year quarterback Brock Purdy has turned the ball over six times during this three-game losing streak after not throwing an interception in the first five games of the season.
Related: Ideal San Francisco 49ers moves ahead of NFL trade deadline
San Francisco 49ers NFL trade deadline plans

Despite Shanahan’s comments Sunday afternoon, it’s being reported that San Francisco is going to be active ahead of Tuesday’s deadline.
The Athletic’s Diana Russini reported this past weekend that the 49ers are seeking a few pieces. That includes edge pass rush and cornerback help. They have been linked to Chase Young of the Washington Commanders as a potential running partner for reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year Nick Bosa.
As for the cornerback position, Kendall Fuller of the aforementioned Commanders as well as Carolina Panthers starter Donte Jackson are realistic options.
It’s also being noted that teams are calling the Denver Broncos about third-year All-Pro cornerback Patrick Surtain II. Obviously, active general manager John Lynch is one of those who have put in a call to Denver. Though, a deal of this ilk seems highly unlikely.