Oakland Raiders rookie Gareon Conley was at rookie minicamp Friday, very happy to be doing what it is he loves most. It’s been a rough last week-plus for the former Ohio State cornerback, who was accused of rape just a couple days before from the start of the 2017 NFL Draft.
After practice on Friday, Conley spoke with local media and opened up a bit about his meeting with Cleveland police on Monday. He said the meeting was productive, per Scott Bair of NBC Sports Bay Area, saying it was “another way to prove my innocence.”
“I feel like it went good,” Conley said “There isn’t much to say about that. We just have to find out what happens after this.”
During his meeting with police, Conley submitted a DNA sample and answered questions. He has not been formally charged at this time or even arrested as the investigation is being conducted.
Conley has emphatically stated he is innocent of the allegations. He says there are witnesses, including a female, and that video evidence supports his claim as well. It worth noting he submitted to a polygraph test before the draft, and obviously the Raiders believe he will be cleared, having drafted him No. 24 overall.
Still, the allegation obviously is tough for the young man to have hanging over his head.
“It’s tough to think about,” Conley said after practice. “I try not to think about it, and just worry about what I’m doing out here right now. Being out here makes it way easier. Football is a stress reliever for me.”
Provided Conley is cleared, Oakland’s gamble will pay off. Conley was a player many thought could sneak into the top 10 leading up to the draft. He’s an outstanding cover corner who can stick to most receivers like glue and has a promising career ahead of him.