Skip to main content

Jets score two late TDs to stun Browns

Sep 18, 2022; Cleveland, Ohio, USA; New York Jets wide receiver Garrett Wilson (17) makes a touchdown reception against Cleveland Browns cornerback Martin Emerson Jr. (23) during the second quarter at FirstEnergy Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Scott Galvin-USA TODAY Sports
Credit: Scott Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

Rookie Garrett Wilson caught a 15-yard touchdown pass with 22 seconds remaining as the visiting New York Jets pulled off an unlikely comeback and edged the host Cleveland Browns 31-30 on Sunday.

The Jets (1-1) snapped a 13-game losing streak in September by overcoming a 30-17 deficit and scoring twice with no timeouts in the final 1:22.

Nick Chubb scored from 12 yards out for his third touchdown with 1:55 remaining, which seemingly had the Browns (1-1) on their way to their first 2-0 start since 1993. The drive forced the Jets to burn their remaining timeouts before they pulled off their comeback.

New York was within 30-24 when Joe Flacco found a wide-open Corey Davis for a 66-yard touchdown with 82 seconds left on a second-and-1. The Jets then tried an onside kick and cornerback Justin Hardee recovered at the New York 47.

One play after Myles Garrett flushed Flacco out of the pocket, Wilson caught a short pass and streaked down the middle of the field, slipping by linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah to tie the game. After Greg Zuerlein made the extra point, Ashytn Davis intercepted Jacoby Brissett for the Jets to ice their first September win since Week 1 of 2018.

Flacco engineered his 25th career regular-season game-winning drive and completed 26 of 44 passes for 307 yards and four touchdowns.

Wilson, who was shaken up earlier in the fourth and committed a critical drop, finished with eight catches for 102 yards and two scores.

Chubb rushed 17 times for 87 yards. Brissett was 22 of 27 for 229 passes and a touchdown to Amari Cooper, who had nine catches for 101 yards.

Cleveland took a 7-0 lead on Chubb’s run to the left with 4:55 remaining and the Jets tied it on Wilson’s 2-yard grab with 13:06 left in the second. Brissett connected with Cooper for an easy touchdown with 8:17 remaining for a 14-7 lead but the Jets tied it right before halftime on Breece Hall’s wide-open 10-yard catch.

Cleveland settled for a 17-14 lead on York’s 22-yard field goal with 9:58 left after Brissett’s pass to Cooper and a roughing-the-passer penalty got them into the red zone.

The Jets tied it less than a minute into the fourth when Zuerlein’s 57-yarder easily cleared the uprights before Chubb scored twice.

–Field Level Media

More About: