floyd mayweather
Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

A new report from a notable boxing analyst reveals who Floyd Mayweather will face when he officially ends his retirement after his upcoming exhibition clash with Mike Tyson.

Mayweather officially retired from boxing in 2017 after a highly lucrative crossover mega-fight with UFC superstar Conor McGregor. However, in retirement, he has continued to do what he does best: fight. Over the last nine years, “Money” has competed in six exhibition bouts, including against Logan Paul and the grandson of mobster John Gotti.

Those were unofficial fights that had no ramifications on his sparkling 50-0 record, and Mayweather will continue the exhibition tour in April when he takes part in his most high-profile unofficial fight yet against heavyweight icon Mike Tyson. However, the boxing legend revealed some surprising news on Friday.

“I still have what it takes to set more records in the sport of boxing,” Mayweather told ESPN after signing a contract with CSI Sports/FIGHT SPORTS. “From my upcoming Mike Tyson event to my next professional fight afterwards — no one will generate a bigger gate, have a larger global broadcast audience, and generate more money with each event — than my events.”

There has been speculation for months that Mayweather is having serious money trouble, which is why he is currently suing Showtime for the $340 million. Getting back into the ring and risking the thing most important to him — his unbeaten record — before he turns 49 next week adds more fuel to the speculation about his bank account.

Floyd Mayweather will face Manny Pacquiao after Mike Tyson exhibition?

mayweather
Mark J. Rebilas-Imagn Images

Mayweather is a smart fighter and has long been known for taking bouts with high buy-rate opportunities but lower risk in the ring. So, who could he have in mind for his first professional fight in nearly a decade? Dan Canobbio of popular podcast Inside Boxing has an idea.

“If I were a betting man. It will be a tune-up fight against Mike Tyson, and then a professional bout against [Manny] Pacquiao on Netflix. This sport is bats*** crazy,” he said.

There have been rumors of a Mayweather-Pacquiao rematch for the last couple of years. With “Pac-Man” having made a return to the ring for an official fight last year, a second clash after they fought in 2015 makes sense. The American won that fight, and beating a slower, 11 years older version of Pacquiao is a classic Mayweather “risk” fight.

avatar
After earning his journalism degree in 2017, Jason Burgos served as a contributor to several sites, including MMA Sucka ... More about Jason Burgos