Credit: AEW

Kota Ibushi says an in-ring return is unlikely for now, and he has a plan for what to do in the meantime.

The 43-year-old posted a video to Instagram while recovering from a broken femur sustained during an AEW Collision taping on October 11, 2025, announcing plans to raise money to build a new professional wrestling venue in Tokyo following the closure of Shinjuku FACE. The historic venue has long served as a home for independent wrestling promotions in Japan.

Ibushi said the disappearance of venues like Shinjuku FACE represents a crisis for professional wrestling culture and that he intends to do something about it, regardless of how long it takes.

“I want to give back to the professional wrestling world,” Ibushi said in the video. He added that while his leg has not fully recovered and he cannot compete, he plans to take on any available work to fund the project and asked fans and potential collaborators to reach out via DM.

Dave Meltzer previously reported that Ibushi’s femur was not yet fully attached as of his last known injury update.

Ibushi has been active in professional wrestling for over two decades, debuting with DDT Pro-Wrestling in 2004. He went on to become a top star in NJPW, winning the 2019 and 2020 G1 Climax tournaments back-to-back — a feat only three others have accomplished. He became the inaugural IWGP World Heavyweight Champion in 2021 after unifying the IWGP Heavyweight Championship and the IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

Ibushi signed with AEW in 2023 after departing NJPW. He only wrestled a few times for the company and is currently listed as inactive on the AEW roster.