Philip Rivers Chargers
Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

It was reported earlier in the week that the Los Angeles Chargers had decided to move on from impending free-agent quarterback Philip Rivers.

Said report seemingly came from Fox Sports insider Jay Glazer, who has a tremendous track record of accuracy. Probably the best in the NFL world.

Reporting live from Super Bowl LIV in Miami on Tuesday, Glazer refutes that he ever said the Chargers were going to let Rivers walk in free agency.

In today’s viral social media world, news breaks within the matter of seconds. At times, initial reports are 100% incorrect. That was the case once news of Kobe Bryant’s death broke on Sunday.

To a lesser degree, this seems to be an example of people jumping the gun on the inevitable.

Will Rivers be back with the Chargers for a 17th season? That seems highly unlikely after the potential future Hall of Famer moved his family from San Diego to Florida.

Recent reports have linked the 38-year-old Rivers to Bruce Arians and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. With Jameis Winston’s status in Tampa up in the air and given Arians’ affinity for veteran quarterbacks, that seems to make sense.

As for the Chargers, it makes sense for them to move on from Rivers and start a new era in Los Angeles.

Free agency starts in March. We’ll obviously have a ton of updates on Rivers’ status between now and then. For now, reports of his demise in Los Angeles have been greatly exaggerated.