Cleveland Browns star defensive end Myles Garrett just appealed his indefinite suspension stemming from last Thursday’s ugly fight in a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Garrett was suspended for ripping the helmet off Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph, only to hit him in the head with it.
During said appeal, the former No. 1 overall pick reportedly claimed that Rudolph used a racial slur.
“In an appeal hearing with the NFL on Wednesday, Cleveland Brownsdefensive end Myles Garrett alleged that Mason Rudolph called him a racial slur just prior to last week’s brawl,” ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Josina Anderson report.
Something did in fact set Garrett off. That’s for sure. He went wild on the field, leading to an incident that’s among the ugliest we’ve ever seen on a football field.
For his part, Rudolph strongly denies the claims.
“Mason vehemently denies the report of being accused of using a racial slur during the incident Thursday night in Cleveland,” Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said in a statement. “He will not discuss this accusation any further and his focus remains on preparation for Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.”
A situation that set the football world ablaze over the past week doesn’t look like it’s going to die down any time soon.
We’ll obviously have more on this story and these allegations as it develops. For now, it remains a black eye for the NFL and both teams involved in the brawl. A racial component would only add to this.