Los Angeles Chargers general manager Tom Telesco gave every indication Wednesday that the Melvin Gordon holdout isn’t ending any time soon.
Gordon was a no-show at camp Wednesday and placed on the reserve/did not report list.
Speaking with reporters, Telesco said the Chargers did offer Gordon a contract, as was previously reported, and that the team will go with the running backs they currently have, per Eric Williams of ESPN.
“I’m not naive: I know we’re better with Melvin Gordon,” Telesco said, per Williams. “But we’ve got a strong group of guys that are here, and it’s their time to work and get ready to go.”
That is as strong a statement a general manager can make without outright saying, “We’re not giving him any more than what has been offered.” Reading between the lines, though, that’s exactly what Telesco is saying.
Gordon has threatened to hold out into the regular season and reportedly feels the offer Telesco and Co. gave him was nowhere near what he is worth. Unfortunately, while he does deserve a raise the simple fact is the NFL in general has devalued the running back position.
So, there’s little-to-no chance that the Chargers are ever going to offer the kind of guaranteed money Gordon would like to see. Le’Veon Bell found that out the hard way earlier this spring, and he’s honestly better than Gordon in terms of being a dual-threat back.
With that in mind, it sure sounds like the Chargers are preparing to open the season without Gordon. At the least, they are calling his bluff.