Potential Bryce Harper suitors are seemingly dropping by the minute as spring training gets going in full swing in both Arizona and Florida.
With the Chicago White Sox reportedly out on Harper, that left less than a handful of teams still in the market for the former NL MVP.
Now, according to Washington Nationals owner Mark Lerner, the team has moved on from its soon-to-be former star.
“Nothing’s certainly changed on our end,” Lerner told NBC Sports Washington on Friday. “We’ve moved on. As I said back then and we had to. There was no way we could wait around. Bryce, I’m sure will make his decision hopefully in the next few days, but we’ve filled out our roster and like I said, we wish him nothing but the best.”
In one way, this makes a ton of sense. The Nationals couldn’t wait around all winter for a Harper decision. The team has already added Yan Gomes and Patrick Corbin, among others. Remember, Washington offered Harper a 10-year, $300 million contract last year. He turned it down flatly.
But it’s now clear. Harper will not return to D.C. next season.