The Boston Red Sox will follow the lead of last year’s World Series champion Houston Astros in visiting President Trump at the White House, team president Sam Kennedy announced on Monday.


Fresh off their ninth World Series title in franchise history and one of the most-successful seasons in recently MLB history, it’s somewhat of a surprise that the Red Sox have accepted said invitation.

Primarily, the focus here has to be on those Red Sox players and figures with ties to Puerto Rico.

Manager Alex Cora, who visited the United States territory after winning the World Series, was very critical of President Trump following Hurricane Maria.

“To be tweeting about 3,000 people and be efficient, it’s actually disrespectful for my country. … And like I said, hey man, thank you for helping us. He went down there, he did what he did,” Cora said Earlier in the year, via Fox News. “I hate talking about politics and all that, but I think this is more than politics,” Cora said. “This is about a country that really suffered, we still, you see the hurricanes forming now. Everybody’s panicking. It’s not easy.”

This was in response to a tweet from President Trump questioning the reported death toll from one of the worst natural disasters to hit the island.

Multiple members of the Red Sox are from Puerto Rico, raising questions about whether they will actually attend an event that had been an annual tradition since prior to Trump’s election in November of 2016.

The NBA’s Golden State Warriors did not visit with President Trump after winning each of the past two championships. But it appears a growing divide between the sports world and Mr. Trump has not extended to MLB.

At the very least, when we look at it from the Red Sox’ organization and its perspective. When it comes to players actually attending, only time will tell.