Ezekiel Elliott was hit with a six-game suspension by the NFL on Friday morning, and by Friday evening he responded with a statement of his own.
The Dallas Cowboys running back, via his Twitter account, said he is “both surprised and disappointed by the NFL’s decision today, and I strongly disagree with the League’s findings.”
Elliott also said he recognizes that this is a big distraction and disruption to “my family, friends, teammates, the Dallas Cowboys organization as well as my fans — and for that I’m sincerely sorry.”
— Ezekiel Elliott (@EzekielElliott) August 12, 2017
Elliott reportedly will appeal the NFL’s decision and is willing to take this case to court if Roger Goodell and Co. choose to adhere to the six-game ban.
This course of action seems highly likely because the NFL won’t back down, as we’ve seen in the past. The league also alleges that it has substantial forensic evidence that proves Elliott assaulted his ex-girlfriend multiple times back in July of last year.
It’s going to be interesting to see how this all plays out. Elliott is on the same road Tom Brady traveled on last year, but in the end Brady relented and accepted the suspension, rather than take his case any further in the U.S. court system.