fbpx

Trevor Bauer responds angrily after allegations of past abuse emerge

Jun 22, 2021; San Diego, California, USA; Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Trevor Bauer (top) looks on from the dugout during the fifth inning against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports
Jun 22, 2021; San Diego, California, USA; Los Angeles Dodgers starting pitcher Trevor Bauer (top) looks on from the dugout during the fifth inning against the San Diego Padres at Petco Park. Mandatory Credit: Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports

Pitcher Trevor Bauer, on leave from the Los Angeles Dodgers amid an investigation into allegations of sexual assault, blasted The Washington Post on Saturday after it reported an Ohio woman filed for a temporary order of protection against him in 2020.

The Post report said the woman had been the subject of “repeated threats” from Bauer and that he also bruised her face as he punched and choked her during sex — similar to what a San Diego woman said happened to her earlier this year.

In his first public comments since the investigation into the alleged Southern California incidents began in July, Bauer vehemently defended himself in a lengthy Twitter post. He previously said through his representatives that sex acts with the San Diego woman were consensual.

“The Washington Post has spent the last six weeks digging into my life and attempting to contact hundreds of female friends and acquaintances with whom they suspect I had some form of romantic relationship — some of whom I haven’t had contact with in over a decade — in an effort to create a false narrative. Several of these individuals have sent me screenshots of their requests, many shared that they had only positive things to say, and others felt very uncomfortable or harassed by the nature of their requests.

“Despite my representatives providing a wealth of contradictory evidence, documents, statements, and background information showing the pattern of disturbing behavior by this woman and her attorneys, The Washington Post opted to ignore much of this information and to run a salacious story disseminating defamatory statements, false information, and baseless allegations from a woman who has not only harassed and physically assaulted me but who attempted to extort me for millions of dollars last year in exchange for her not coming forward with false claims.”

He also included a statement from his agents that said Bauer and the Ohio woman had an “on-and-off consensual relationship” that was termed “casual” from 2016-19 when Bauer was a member of the Cleveland Indians.

His representatives Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba said Bauer attempted to end their relationship when he was traded to the Cincinnati Reds in July 2019, but she contacted him “hundreds of times, attempted an unsolicited visit to his new residence in another city, and contacted a third party to share personal details about him in an evident attempt to harm him.” They added she sought a $3.4 million payout for her silence.

According to The Post — which said it reviewed sealed court records, police reports, independently obtained photos and text messages — the woman sought the order of protection after receiving threatening messages from Bauer.

“I don’t feel like spending time in jail for killing someone,” read one of the messages reviewed by The Post. “And that’s what would happen if I saw you again.”

According to a police report, Bauer summoned police to his apartment in Cleveland in 2017 and told officers she arrived there drunk and proceeded to assault him. The woman denied his claims and wanted officers to look at photos of eye injuries, which she said Bauer caused while choking her, without consent, during sex. Instead, the woman, who was not 21 but was at least 18, per The Post report, was arrested for underage drinking.

The woman’s request for a temporary restraining order was granted in Ohio on an ex parte basis, meaning the judge heard only the woman’s side. According to The Post, the woman dismissed the order six weeks later amid threats of legal action from Bauer’s side.

Bauer hasn’t pitched since June 28 and went on MLB administrative leave on July 2 once the allegations of the San Diego woman were made public. Police in Pasadena, Calif., where Bauer lives and where the two incidents of assault allegedly occurred this spring, are investigating the case, as is MLB.

The 30-year-old Bauer won the National League Cy Young Award last season with the Reds, then signed a three-year, $102 contract with the Dodgers in February.

Before he was sidelined, Bauer was a workhorse for the Dodgers, starting 17 games and striking out 137 batters in 107 2/3 innings. He has an 8-5 record and 2.59 ERA.

MLB already was aware of the woman’s allegations, and a spokesperson told The Post, “MLB takes these and all allegations very seriously” but would not comment further.

–Field Level Media