Quarterback-turned-outfielder Tim Tebow is getting another chance at making the New York Mets roster.
The Mets announced Saturday that the 33-year-old Tebow is one of 26 non-roster invitees to their camp in Port St. Lucie, Fla. Also receiving invites were some of the Mets’ top prospects, including infielders Brett Baty and Ronny Mauricio, catcher Francisco Alvarez, pitcher Matthew Allan and outfielder Pete Crow-Armstrong.
Tebow, the former Heisman Trophy winner who played three seasons in the NFL, signed with the Mets in 2016 but has yet to play in the big leagues. He was invited to spring training earlier in 2020 but was not in the Mets’ 60-man player pool.
He also has worked as an analyst for SEC Network.
— New York Mets (@Mets) February 13, 2021
Mets team president Sandy Alderson said in November that he expected Tebow to return in 2021. He was the general manager when Tebow first signed with the club.
During his time with the organization, Tebow has hit .223 with 18 home runs and 107 RBIs in 287 games. He has struck out in more than one third of his official at-bats.
Tebow advanced to Triple-A Syracuse in 2019 and appeared in 77 games before a hand injury ended his season. In 239 at-bats, he had four homers and 19 RBIs with 20 walks but struck out 98 times.
“It’s not something that I want to do forever … because there’s a lot of other things that are in my heart that I want to pursue,” Tebow told MLB.com last fall. “But it is something that is still in my heart today.”
Alderson said in November that he was willing to keep Tebow in the organization a bit longer.
“This is not a quest without end,” Alderson told the New York Post. “At some point it will culminate. But I think that will be at a time when Tim and the organization come to some agreement about where he is and what his potential is.”
Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to Port St. Lucie on Wednesday.
–Field Level Media