RECAP: UCLA overtakes Michigan State for OT win in First Four

Mar 18, 2021; West Lafayette, Indiana, USA; UCLA Bruins guard Jaime Jaquez Jr. (4) defends against Michigan State Spartans forward Malik Hall (25) in the second half during the First Four of the 2021 NCAA Tournament at Mackey Arena. Mandatory Credit: Marc Lebryk-USA TODAY Sports

Sophomore Jaime Jaquez Jr. scored a career-high 27 points and UCLA rallied from a 14-point deficit to defeat Michigan State 86-80 in overtime in an NCAA Tournament First Four game on Thursday in West Lafayette, Ind.

Johnny Juzang had 21 points for the Bruins (18-9), who will face sixth-seeded BYU in an East Region first-round matchup on Saturday. UCLA’s Cody Riley and Jules Bernard each contributed 11 points.

Aaron Henry’s 18 points and seven assists led Michigan State (15-13). Joshua Langford added 12 points and seven rebounds and Malik Hall chipped in 10 points.

Two baskets by Juzang gave the Bruins a four-point lead in overtime. Riley’s dunk with under a minute to go gave UCLA an 83-78 lead. Langford made a layup, and Juzang injured his ankle when he stepped on Langford’s foot on the play.

Riley split free throws and Langford missed in the lane. Jaylen Clark sank two free throws with 13.9 seconds left to clinch UCLA’s win.

The Spartans’ 11-point halftime lead shrunk to 48-45 during the first three minutes of the second half. Jaquez and Juzang scored five points apiece during that 10-2 UCLA run.

Jaquez’s foul-line jumper with 7:21 left cut Michigan State’s lead to 64-62. Bernard’s layup with less than six minutes left put the Bruins on top 67-66.

The Spartans weren’t down for long. They scored the next seven points, capped by Hall’s three-point play.

Riley made two free throws with 1:46 left to pull UCLA within 75-72. Henry and Juzang traded two free throws apiece before Rocket Watts missed a 3-point shot.

Jaquez converted a three-point play with 28.7 seconds left to tie it at 77-apiece. Henry shot an airball and UCLA got the ball back with 3.3 seconds left. Juzang’s half-court heave bounced off the rim, sending the game into overtime.

Michigan State held a 44-33 halftime lead after its biggest lead was 40-26 following a 3-pointer by Joey Hauser.

–Field Level Media