It’s not a secret that All-Pro Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas wants a new contract. It’s also not a terribly kept secret that Seattle has floated Thomas as trade bait since the end of the 2017 campaign.
Whether this means Thomas will be suiting up for another team once the 2018 season comes calling remains to be seen.
However, we now know that Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll expects his best defender to be in attendance for the mandatory part of the team’s offseason programs.
Carroll says he has been talking with Earl Thomas and said he expects Thomas to be back for mini-camp.
— Bob Condotta (@bcondotta) May 24, 2018
Thomas, 29, has stayed away from the voluntary aspect of Seattle’s offensive program. That includes organized team activities this week. He’s set to earn $8.5 million in the final year of a four-year, $40 million extension the three-time All-Pro signed with Seattle back in 2014.
Rumors have been swirling all spring long that Thomas would end up in his native Dallas with the Cowboys. He made it clear he wants to play there late last season and trade talks between the two sides heated up prior to April’s draft. Nothing came to fruition on that front.
This might be nothing more than Carroll attempting to be positive. He previously noted that Thomas better show up for training camp, which seemed to be an immediate threat directed at the safety.
Things are not in a good spot between Thomas and his organization, especially after Seattle released Richard Sherman and traded Michael Bennett earlier this spring.
It will certainly be interesting to see what comes of this in the new few weeks.