The LSU football program is taking proactive steps to make a difference. Head coach Ed Orgeron, ahead of the team’s voluntary workouts, shared one step that the team is taking to do just that.
LSU football players will all register to vote
Orgeron shared Tuesday during an interview with ESPN Radio Baton Rouge that a leadership group of 12 players came up with the idea that every player will register to vote.
“I talked to them about specific stuff that’s going on in our world today and I had a leadership committee, 12 of our guys, we got together and voice their opinion for us to come up with a solution,” Orgeron said (h/t Glen West of Sports Illustrated). “One of the solutions they came up with as a group, to represent the team, is that we’re all going to register to vote. All of our players will be checking in today and we’re going to register to vote online.”
Like every team across America right now, the LSU Tigers are discussing much more than just football these days. In the wake of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis on May 25, protests against systemic racism and police brutality against African-Americans have taken place in most major cities.
Athletes on both the professional and amateur levels have stepped up their game off the field to better address these extremely important issues. The Missouri Tigers football team organized a march through campus last week that ended at City Hall where 52 players registered to vote.
LSU, SEC still on schedule for a full season amid coronavirus pandemic
In addition to the major issue of race relations in America, college football programs are still facing the real threat of COVID-19. The SEC recently voted to allow student-athletes to return to campus — following strict medical guidelines.
LSU players are already on campus now, and the players are getting back to work with strength and conditioning exercises. The football program is on track to open up the season as planned on Sept. 5.
Here’s a quick look at the 2020 schedule for the LSU Tigers football program:
- Sept. 5: vs. UTSA Roadrunners (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Sept. 12: vs. Texas Longhorns (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Sept. 19: vs. Rice Bulldogs (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Sept. 26: vs. Ole Miss Rebels (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Oct. 3: vs. Nicholls Colonels (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Oct. 10: at Florida Gators (Gainesville, Fla.)
- Oct. 17: at Arkansas Razorbacks (Fayetteville, Ark.)
- Oct. 24: vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Nov. 7: vs. Alabama Crimson Tide (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Nov. 14: vs. South Carolina Gamecocks (Baton Rouge, La.)
- Nov. 21: at Auburn Tigers (Auburn, Ala.)
- Nov. 28: at Texas A&M Aggies (College Station, Texas)