Los Angeles Kings stifle Ducks in first of four-game set

Apr 26, 2021; Los Angeles, California, USA; LA Kings left wing Brendan Lemieux (48) and Anaheim Ducks defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk (22) battle for the puck during the second period at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Dustin Brown had a goal and an assist for the Los Angeles Kings in a 4-1 win against the visiting Anaheim Ducks on Monday night.

Sean Walker, Mikey Anderson and Trevor Moore also scored, and Jonathan Quick made 21 saves for the Kings (18-22-6, 42 points), who were playing the first of four games in six days against Anaheim.

Jamie Drysdale scored and Anthony Stolarz made 21 saves for the Ducks (14-28-7, 35 points), who have lost five in a row. They have combined to score five goals in those games.

The Kings took a 1-0 lead at 5:19 of the first period when Walker’s shot from the right point sailed by traffic and nicked off the tip of Stolarz’s glove before hitting the net. Anze Kopitar assisted on the goal to give him 996 points for his NHL career.

Anderson scored his first goal in his 44th game this season to make it 2-0 at 10:34 of the first period. Andreas Athanasiou’s shot from the right point went wide, but the carom came through the crease and out to the slot, where Anderson scored on a backhand.

The Kings, who had seven defensemen in their lineup, received goals from multiple blueliners for the first time this season.

The Ducks cut the lead to 2-1 at 3:03 of the second period.

Danton Heinen spotted Drysdale trailing on a rush and centered a pass to him. Drysdale took a hard slap shot from the high slot that squeezed past Quick for the third goal of his rookie season.

The Kings went on their first power play with 25 seconds left in the second period and Ryan Getzlaf of the Ducks got loose on a shorthanded breakaway, but Quick turned him away with nine seconds left in the period to maintain the one-goal lead.

Brown scored into an empty net with 1:03 to make it 3-1, and Moore scored another empty netter with 31 seconds left for the 4-1 outcome.

–Field Level Media