Deshaun Watson faces four new lawsuits, accused of sexual assault in March

By Matt Johnson
Dec 20, 2020; Indianapolis, Indiana, USA; Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson (4) during warmups before the game against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Trevor Ruszkowski-USA TODAY Sports

Houston Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson is facing four new lawsuits for accusations of sexual assault and harassment, now bring the number of civil suits against the NFL star to 11.

The 25-year-old has been the center of NFL trade rumors for months, with numerous teams trying to land him. Since requesting a trade in January, the Texans have refused to even engage in discussions with rival clubs. Just as chatter intensified that a trade could happen this offseason, the first allegations came out against Watson.

Related: 49ers, Broncos among teams interested in Deshaun Watson trade despite assault allegations

Watson’s first accuser came forward on March 17, with Houston-based attorney Tony Buzbee representing the unidentified woman and announcing the looming civil suit. Watson immediately denied the claims, but Buzbee quickly brought forward additional allegations of sexual harassment and assault against Watson.

After holding a press conference this past week, announcing more lawsuits were coming, Buzbee officially filed four additional civil suits on Monday.

Latest on accusations against Deshaun Watson

According to ESPN’s Sarah Barshop, Watson is now facing four additional lawsuits accusing him of sexual assault and inappropriate conduct towards multiple masseuses. One of the lawsuits claims the Pro Bowl quarterback sexually assaulted a woman earlier this month.

Read More: Deshaun Watson facing sexual misconduct allegations from 12 women

The accusations against Watson are alarming, with Houston’s franchise star accused of touching women inappropriately and exposing himself to her. An additional suit claims Watson made “sexually suggestive comments” and touched her inappropriately. Of the four alleged incidents, two occurred in 2021 and the two others took place in June and August of 2020.

All of the claims are similar regarding Watson’s alleged methods of reaching out to the women. He inquired about a massage through Instagram, requesting a private session. Furthermore, many of the accusations also share similar details, like Watson only wearing a small towel around his groin at the start of the massage. One accuser said in the lawsuit that Watson’s aggressiveness made her “scared for her life.”

Related: Text messages allegedly show Deshaun Watson apologizing, amid NFL’s sexual assault allegations

In a press conference, Buzbee said that 22 women reached out to him regarding alleged incidents of sexual misconduct by Watson. The attorney said he is vetting the information and more lawsuits will be submitted in the coming days. Notably, he mentioned that the Houston Police Department contacted him for information, but the HPD denied that. Buzbee plans to submit a packet of evidence to law enforcement.

The NFL recently launched its own investigation into the allegations and will be in contact with Buzbee, the accusers and Watson. However, we’re likely months away from any conclusion on the matter.

Despite the allegations, NFL teams are still interested in trading for Watson. It’s unlikely the Texans move him in the near future, until there is future clarity, but it’s likely Watson never plays for the Texans again. As for his future in the NFL, that will likely be determined in the months to come.