When Los Angeles Lakers star guard Lonzo Ball underwent minor knee surgery back in July, it wasn’t cause for alarm. Sure any time we’re talking about a torn meniscus in the knee, there has to be some concern. But the Lakers made it clear Ball would be back for training camp.
Now with camp opening up next week, Lakers head coach Luke Walton said Ball won’t be ready for five-on-five scrimmages.
Lonzo Ball (knee) won’t be ready for 5-on-5 scrimmages when training camp starts next week, Luke Walton told @SpectrumSN
Ball has done 1-on-1 drills, Walton said, but Lakers won’t “rush him back at all.”
— Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) September 18, 2018
This has to be considered a setback. Having veteran Rajon Rondo on the roster helps Los Angeles take it easy with Bell. That doesn’t mean the second-year guard can afford to miss much action.
He’ll need to gel with LeBron James and a plethora of other new acquisitions in order to play a major role with the Lakers this coming season.
The No. 2 pick in last year’s NBA Draft, Ball averaged 10.2 points, 6.9 rebounds and 7.2 assists as a rookie.