fbpx
Skip to main content

Jon Gruden addresses controversial emails, hopes for ‘another shot’

Sportsnaut
Sep 19, 2021; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA;  Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden looks on from the sidelines against the Pittsburgh Steelers during the second quarter at Heinz Field. Las Vegas won 26-17.  Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Former Las Vegas Raiders head coach Jon Gruden spoke about the racist, anti-gay and misogynistic emails that he sent from 2010 to 2018 at a Little Rock (Ark.) Touchdown Club meeting on Tuesday, expressing remorse for his actions.

Gruden resigned from the Raiders after the emails were leaked last year, and he eventually sued the NFL claiming that it targeted him by releasing said emails.

But Tuesday was a different story, as Gruden asked for forgiveness and said that he hoped for a second chance.

“I’m ashamed about what has come about in these emails, and I’ll make no excuses for it. It’s shameful. But, I am a good person. I believe that,” Gruden said. “I’ve made some mistakes, but I don’t think anybody in here hasn’t. And I just ask for forgiveness, and hopefully I get another shot.”

Gruden, 59, landed his first head coaching job with the Raiders in 1998 and spent four seasons there before coaching the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from 2002-08. The Bucs won the Super Bowl in his first season there.

He then stepped away from coaching and worked for ESPN as a color analyst before his second stint with the Raiders, which lasted from 2018-21.

Gruden owns a 117-112 regular-season record and has led his teams to a 5-4 mark in the postseason.

–Field Level Media