After being listed as doubtful on Friday for the Game 4 matchup against the Brooklyn Nets, Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid is cleared to play after making it through a workout before the game.
The Injury: Embiid’s knee injury has given considerable problems throughout his career and caused him to miss several games in the second half of the season.
- Embiid played in Game 1 and finished with 22 points, 15 rebounds and five blocks in a 111-102 loss.
- Philadelphia bounced back in a Game 2 win led by Embiid’s team-high 23 points and 10 rebounds.
- After extra rest and rehabilitation during the team’s travel day to Brooklyn, Embiid ultimately missed Game 3.
The Impact: Embiid’s return to the lineup will be a fairly significant change for Philadelphia’s usage of fellow stars Jimmy Butler, Ben Simmons and Tobias Harris.
- In Embiid’s absence, Simmons led the way with 31 points and nine assists.
- Harris took control over the boards in Thursday’s win with 16 rebounds, 15 coming on the defensive end.
- Embiid’s return will result in scoring opportunities for Simmons, though it will obviously cause even more matchup issues for Brooklyn.
Embiid’s return gives Philadelphia another boost as it seeks its third consecutive win in the opening playoff series with a chance to take a 3-1 series lead oN Saturday before heading back home for a chance to finish off the series in Game 5.