The New York Jets face the Green Bay Packers in Week 2 of the NFL preseason, delivering a matchup between Jordan Love and Zach Wilson. Sportsnaut’s Jets vs Packers preview examines the top matchups, game info and more.
Jets vs Packers: What you need to know
- The Packers host the Jets at Lambeau Field on Saturday, August 21 at 4:25 p.m. EST on NFL Network, WLNY/CBS, and Packers TV Network
- Sportsnaut forecasts the Packers defeat the Jets, 27-24
- Odds: The Packers are a 3-point favorite over the Jets and the over/under is 34 points.
Let’s dive into our Jets vs Packers preview.
Zach Wilson vs Jordan Love
Love and Wilson both found themselves in the spotlight this spring, just for very different reasons. Wilson rose up draft boards and is viewed as the face of the Jets’ franchise. Meanwhile, the Aaron Rodgers saga meant everyone was monitoring Love’s performance in practice closely.
Green Bay did experience a scare when Love suffered a shoulder injury in Week 1, but he is expected to play on Saturday. It will be especially important considering the recent reports on how the organization views him.
- Love Unleashed: The COVID-19 pandemic wiped out the 2020 preseason, meaning this will be Love’s first NFL game. After generating a mix of buzz and criticism this summer, Love will play a majority of the preseason snaps. Against a thin Jets’ secondary, this is a great opportunity for Love to win over fans.
- WIld Wilson: Sports coverage in New York is known for being a little extreme, so overreactions to Wilson’s interceptions in practice aren’t surprising. But the rookie wants to test his limits right now and if that means playing a little wild, this gunslinger will do it.
Advantage: Green Bay Packers
Packers’ secondary vs Elijah Moore
After making so many investments at wide receiver in the past year, no one would have blamed the Jets for focusing on other positions in Round 2. But with Elijah Moore just sitting there, New York couldn’t pass on the opportunity to draft a gifted offensive weapon. After exploding in training camp, Moore now gets an even better chance to shine.
- SEC battle: A year ago, Moore and cornerback Eric Stokes were battling it out in the SEC. Both are now living their dreams in the NFL and we should see them face off a few times in this clash. Stokes’ size (6-foot-1) and speed (4.28 40-yard dash) give him a shot against a great, young receiver.
- NFL debut: An injury scare prevented Moore from playing in the preseason opener. After waiting a week longer than expected, fans will finally get to see what the hype is all about. Few players around the NFL are generating more excitement than Moore right now and he’ll prove the talk is earned in this Jets vs Packers matchup.
Advantage: New York Jets
Kylin Hill vs Michael Carter
Everyone loved the class of runnings backs in the 2021 NFL Draft, but a majority of the attention centered on the marquee players. While Kylin Hill and Michael Carter didn’t generate as much discussion during the draft process, both are catching eyes in training camp.
- Running Down the Hill: Before Mike Leach arrived at Mississippi State, Kylin Hill was one of the best running backs in the country (1,530 scrimmage yards in 2019). Drafted in the seventh round by the Packers, Hill has practically secured the No. 3 spot on the depth chart. With Aaron Jones hurt, Hill will get a lot of run against the Jets.
- The Other Tar Heel: Javonte Williams became the draft darling out of North Carolina, but Michael Carter had consecutive 1,000-yard seasons with the Tar Heels. Beat writers have said he looks like the Jets’ best running back and he should have a featured role in this matchup.
Advantage: New York Jets
The bottom line: The Jets vs Packers game offers plenty of young talent for fans to enjoy, making it a must-see event for NFL fans. New York’s future is promising, but this is a team that lacks the necessary depth to beat a more talented roster that is in win-now mode.