fbpx
Skip to main content

Dominic Thiem tests positive for COVID-19

Sportsnaut
May 30, 2021; Paris, France; Dominic Thiem (AUT) in action during his match against Pablo Andujar (ESP) at Roland Garros Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Susan Mullane-USA TODAY Sports
Credit: Susan Mullane-USA TODAY Sports

Former U.S. Open champion Dominic Thiem said Wednesday that he tested positive for COVID-19 after playing in his first match in more than nine months.

Thiem lost to Argentina’s Pedro Cachin 6-3, 6-4 at the Andalucia Open on Tuesday, and he said he started experiencing symptoms after dinner. A test taken Wednesday morning came back positive.

“Looks like lately the good news don’t last long,” Thiem wrote on Instagram. “… last night after dinner, I started feeling unwell and didn’t have a good night. After developing mild symptoms I decided to take a test this morning, which came back positive for COVID-19.

“Now I have to wait and see how it develops. I’ll keep you posted. Thank you all in advance for your support!”

The 28-year-old Thiem injured his wrist last June, and Tuesday’s match on the Challenger Tour was his first since the physical setback. The Austrian said earlier this month that he was hoping to return to the ATP Tour in April to participate in the clay-court season.

Thiem is currently ranked 50th in the world. His highest ranking came in March 2020 when he reached No. 3.

Thiem won the 2020 U.S. Open title when he recovered from a two-set deficit to defeat Germany’s Alexander Zverev in a fifth-set tiebreaker.

–Field Level Media