Skip to main content

Cory Burke lifts Philadelphia over New York City FC

Jun 26, 2022; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA; Philadelphia Union midfielder Jose Andres Martinez (8) controls the ball against New York City FC during the first half at Subaru Park. Mandatory Credit: Gregory Fisher-USA TODAY Sports
Credit: Gregory Fisher-USA TODAY Sports

Cory Burke scored a dramatic tiebreaking goal in the 96th minute as the host Philadelphia Union survived blowing a late lead and moved into first place in the Eastern Conference with a 2-1 victory over New York City FC.

Philadelphia (7-1-8, 29 points) extended their unbeaten streak to six games (2-0-4) and moved two points ahead of NYCFC, which they also beat 2-0 at Yankee Stadium on March 19.

Burke was credited with the game-winner when he used his left foot to deflect a long shot by Jose Martinez past NYCFC goalkeeper Sean Johnson. Burke was initially believed to be offsides, but video review credited the defender with his fourth goal of the season.

Burke’s clutch goal saved the Union from another draw after they conceded the tying goal to Valentin Castellanos on a penalty kick in the 89th minute.

Castellanos was awarded a penalty kick when Philadelphia defender Kai Wagner was whistled for a hand ball. He easily scored his eighth goal of the season by using a stutter step to get Andre Blake to go to his left and then beat the Philadelphia goalkeeper with a right-footed shot that wound up in the bottom left corner.

Mikael Uhre scored in the ninth minute as Philadelphia did little offensively until Burke’s goal while holding possession for 41.4 percent of the match.

Blake made four saves to notch his second win of the year over NYCFC.

NYCFC (8-4-3, 27 points) is now just one point ahead of CF Montreal and the New York Red Bulls.

Johnson finished with four saves as well.

Uhre opened the scoring when he got a long cross from Alejandro Bedoya, slipped past NYCFC defender Maxime Chanot and sent a left-footed shot from the center of the box into the bottom right corner of the net.

After putting Philadelphia ahead, Uhre nearly scored seven minutes later, but Johnson stopped his right-footed shot from close range. Johnson also denied a header from Jack Elliott in the 18th minute and then stopped Julian Carranza’s attempt in the 30th.

–Field Level Media