San Diego Chargers receiver Malcom Floyd made it clear on Tuesday that he is planning on retiring following the 2015 NFL season. Entering his 11th season as a pro, Floyd has suited up in 106 games so far—all of which have come in a Chargers uniform.
Floyd took the time to divulge his reasons for making the upcoming season his last, via Chargers.com:
“You know, what I’ve always said in the media, you know, I’m still following that plan. Me retiring has always been in the plan since I first signed this last contract…It’s kinda hard. I don’t want to say too much right now, but what I’ve said before it still ongoing and in stone.”
What he’s said before is that he’s ready to stop playing ball and spend time with his family.
“I have four kids now,” Floyd said in June (h/t The San Diego Union-Tribune). “I’m barely getting any time with them. I’ve got to go home and rest.”
Floyd’s career has been marred by injuries. That he has talent to be an impact player for the Chargers has never been in doubt, but staying on the field has been difficult. In his 11 seasons, the lanky receiver has started just 64 games.
To this point in his career, Floyd has tallied 291 catches for 4,989 yards and 31 touchdowns. If he stays healthy this year and starts all 16 games, as he did in 2014, then the veteran should be an integral part of a potent Chargers offense.