The COVID -19 outbreak that has sidelined 14 Vancouver Canucks players and at least one coach also includes some cases of the Brazilian variant of the virus, according to published reports.
The P.1 Brazil variant is said to be more transmissible than earlier strains and has been found to re-infect people who already had recovered from a COVID infection, according to the New York Times.
Vancouver added seven players to the list on Saturday. ESPN reported that two more coaches were added to the list as well.
The Canucks last played on March 24 and are on a pause until at least April 6. The team won’t be allowed to play again until at least April 8.
“Whether we have someone that gets it or not, everyone is trying their best to abide by the protocols,” said Canucks forward J.T. Miller, who missed three games in the protocol earlier this season.
“The timing is obviously not great — there’s no good timing — but it doesn’t change anything. No matter what the circumstances, no one wants to get it, no one wants to spread it, nothing changes.”
Canucks goaltender Thatcher Demko, defenseman Tyler Myers, forwards Bo Horvat, Tyler Motte, Travis Boyd, Jayce Hawryluk and Brandon Sutter were added to the list.
Goaltender Braden Holtby, defensemen Alex Edler, Quinn Hughes and Travis Hamonic, and forwards Adam Gaudette, Zack MacEwen and Antoine Roussel already were on the list.
–Field Level Media