Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports

As MLB teams begin their offseason in search of high-end starting pitching, they are quickly learning that New York Mets starting pitcher Noah Syndergaard will not be available this offseason.

Mets general manager Brodie Van Wagenen told reporters on Thursday that multiple teams have reached out with interest in acquiring New York’s co-ace. However, Van Wagenen made it clear that Syndergaard is no longer available.

The comments echoed Van Wagenen’s statement in October when he said Syndergaard and All-Star closer Edwin Diaz would be with the team in 2020.

New York made Syndergaard available before MLB’s trade deadline in July and engaged in discussions before ultimately keeping him. While the 27-year-old posted a 4.28 ERA and 1.23 WHIP last season, both the Mets and other clubs likely believe they can help him rediscover the greatness that made him one fo MLB’s best pitchers from 2016-’18.

Syndergaard is eligible for arbitration this offseason and in 2021 before he’s eligible to become a free agent in 2022. It appears his future will remain in New York with the Mets.

Matt Johnson
Writer at Sportsnaut. Journalism student at San Diego State University. Seen on MSN. Previously: eDraft, The Connection