Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan has teammate Julio Jones’ back in a big way as the wide receiver pursues a potentially record-breaking contract extension this summer.
Speaking with Jim Rome on the “Jim Rome Show” Thursday, Ryan touted Jones’ incredible athleticism and said he is the best receiver in the NFL today.
There’s certainly a valid argument to be made that Jones is, in fact, the best receiver the NFL has to offer, though there would be a healthy debate.
Since 2014, Jones has put up some gaudy stats that show he is undeniably one of the league’s premier pass-catching weapons.
- 2014: 104 catches, 1,593 yards, six touchdowns
- 2015: 136 catches, 1,871 yards, eight touchdowns
- 2016: 83 catches, 1,409 yards, six touchdowns
- 2017: 88 catches, 1,444 yards, three touchdowns
- 2018: 113 catches, 1,677 yards, eight touchdowns
That’s elite production, no matter how you slice it.
At the least, Ryan agrees (in part) with new ESPN analyst, Josh McCown, who drew the scorn of many NFL fans on Wednesday in his first appearance on “SportsCenter.”