New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis was reportedly involved in an altercation that sent him to the hospital while he was visiting family in Pittsburgh, Pa.
According to WTAE.com, Revis is being investigated by police over the altercation, and police are considering filing felony charges against him because of his alleged role in the altercation.
“Sources close to the investigation told Pittsburgh’s Action News 4 that two men were punched near the corner of South 23rd and East Carson streets. The incident was reported around 2:30 a.m. Monday. A police officer who drove by the area saw Revis speaking to two people; when he came back around, two of them were knocked out and Revis was gone, sources said.”
Pittsburgh Police released the following press release not long after the news broke.
— Kimberley A. Martin (@KMart_LI) February 16, 2017
Allegedly, Revis tried to delete video from a phone, though police have reportedly recovered a phone belonging to one of the alleged victims.
Per the report, sources provided the following timeline of events that led to this altercation.
- Revis was approached by two people on the street who complimented his clothes and asked if he was Revis.
- Revis answered yes. The men continued to follow him and started recording him on a cellphone.
- A shoving match ensued as Revis asked the men to leave him alone.
- Victims say Revis grabbed the phone from one man in an attempt to delete the video, then threw the phone into Carson Street.
- A friend of Revis’ approached, and the two men were punched. Nobody saw who threw the blows.
- Both of the injured men were taken to the hospital. One suffered broken bones around his eye.
According to Revis’ attorney, Blaine Jones, Revis was the victim in this assault, rather than the aggressor, per Rich Cimini of ESPN.com. Here is a more detailed account from Revis’ attorney, courtesy of NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo.
Here's the account from Blaine Jones, attorney from Darrelle Revis, during a short conversation I had with him. pic.twitter.com/9iePYBJF0n
— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) February 16, 2017
Revis is currently still a member of the Jets and is set to earn over $15 million if he remains with the club. However, he is already reportedly one of the players most likely to be cut, if he doesn’t take a pay cut. It remains to be seen what will come of this investigation or how it could impact his future as a player.